DIY Tutorial: Paper Roses from Books or Sheet Music!

• 17
  • December 21, 2011

I have seen these beautiful paper roses all over Pinterest and wedding blogs alike, but I am now ecstatic to get to share an actual, step-by-step tutorial on how to make these gorgeous paper flowers!!

These little beauties could make for one amazing, offbeat DIY bouquet [a similar DIY paper flower bouquet here], or just use them a beautiful centerpiece idea for a party. Regardless, these flowers rock my socks & I cannot wait to find an excuse to make some [more than likely from pages of a Harry Potter book, of course]. A special thanks to Maryland wedding photographer, Photography by Susie, for making & sharing this awesome DIY tutorial with us!

DIY Tutorial: How to Make Paper Roses from Book Pages

Tutorial Instructions:

Step 1. Start by cutting the paper into 4 inch squares.Unfortunately, I didn’t have a paper cutter or a ruler [yes, I couldn’t find one anywhere in the house. :P], so I just guessed at the measurements. The important thing though, is to cut three pieces of paper the same size. [I tried for a 4″ piece, and I think I got pretty close.]

Step 2. After you cut three pieces the same size, you’ll fold them all the way I did below. First you fold them in half like this…

Step 3. Then, you fold them again, and again, so they’re a nice little triangle.

Click inside to see the rest of our DIY Paper Flower Tutorial!

Step 4. Take your pencil, and draw a pattern on there, so you’ll cut the top rounded, and then cut the tip off, as well.  Use this one as a pattern for your other two pieces.

You should have three pieces cut out, looking like this when you unfold them.

Step 5. The next step is to cut one petal out of one, two petals out of the next one, and three petals out of the next. You should then have something that looks like this…

Step 6. Take some glue, and put it on one petal, then you’ll take the next side and overlap petals to make it stick.

You will glue all the pieces, except for two: the piece with one petal, and the piece with two.

Step 7. Here is where the toothpick comes into play. Take the toothpick and use it to curl the petals after you’ve glued them. You’ll also curl the pieces with just one and two petals, and you should end up with the following pieces…[look at the next photo down….]

Step 8. Now you’ll assemble the rose. The piece with 5 petals will go inside the piece with 6 petals, and so on and so forth. To assemble, put glue on the outside of the smaller piece, and place it inside the rose. Alternate the petals, so your petals aren’t right on top of each other. Once you have all the pieces in the rose, let it dry for a bit before you put the twine in for the stem. For the twine, I cut a piece [this had wire in it as well], then just bent the top over so it wouldn’t slide all the way through, slid it through the center of the rose, and it stayed quite nicely.

Step 9. Once you get the hang of making these, it doesn’t take long. Like, for instance, this bouquet only took me all day. [Just kidding! It probably took me 10 min per flower]. If I would have a paper cutter it would take even less time…

Ta-da!!!!!! PLEASE Let us know if you use this tutorial to make a bouquet for your wedding! We would love to share it here. Also, a special thanks again to the very awesome Susie of Photography by Susie for sharing her paper rose tutorial & images with us!!!

Pin It

• holy crap those are so cool! Not just for weddings, but so nice for a house too, instead of spending money on real bouquets. Very creative!

• Lora says:

Hey, thanks for creating a paper rose tutorial that is relatively simple and doesn’t cost money (to buy special templates and stuff)! I’ve been looking for one for ages.

• Natalie Scott says:

Using these in my wedding in October. I’ve started makng them already. Will have pics in October!

• […] DIY origami flower bouquet tutorial and our paper flower tutorial are two of our most popular posts on the site. So when I came across a real wedding, from talented […]

• Andrea says:

Thank you so much for posting this! I wanted something other than real flowers for my wedding and did a search on Pinterest, and found your instructions. They are very simple to follow and the finished flower looks awesome! I made 3 in about 40 mins…the longest part is cutting for me lol. Again, thank you!

• Megan says:

A friend and I started making these last night, and this tutorial is just awesome! I’m having a science-and-literature themed wedding and cannot wait to sprinkle these around on our tables (and bundled together at the ends of aisles for the ceremony). Thanks so much for sharing!

• Joan says:

These are amazing! I had been asked to do the decorations for the annual Book and Thimble dinner and these are perfect! Quick and easy to make, thank goodness, as I will be making around 150 of them. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. Great for those of us who REALLY need good pictures to follow a tutorial.

• Mandy says:

Most excellent tutorial, exactly what I was looking for!

• Hoogi Somerville says:

I work at a library and am in charge of disposing of severely damaged books. A co-worker named Rose is retiring and I was trying to think of a unique gift for her. Came across this great site and am making a boquet from discarded books. Rose has a little dog named Peanuts so I will put some peanuts in a clear vase and put the roses in it. Thank you so much for an easy and clear tutorial that even a craft-challenged person can follow through to a successful result!

• Pacman says:

Wow awesom…..!!! That was d easiest and d best…. Muuahh!!!;)

• Kristie says:

What am I doing wrong? Every time I try to cut the petal design, I keep getting just a bunch of little bits of paper instead of the flower with the whole in the middle like you have. I need some more clear, strict directions!

• Bree Ryback says:

Kristie – you are more than likely cutting the petal out on the wrong edge of the folded paper. Make sure you are cutting, starting on the edge that has the fold.

• Cynthia Minor says:

Thank you so much for posting this tutorial. I found it while searching for ideas to make a fabric bouquet for my daughter’s wedding. I thought these roses were so pretty and such a great idea; I used old sheet music (love songs, of course) which had belonged to my grandmother to make the roses. They fit beautifully among the satin, lace and burlap. I am currently making more to include in bouquets for my great niece and my brother’s fiancee. It is a special way for me to include ‘family’ into the bouquets for the bride’s special day.

• Nicola Dorrington says:

I’ve just got to say – I found this tutorial when I was looking for alternative options for flowers for my wedding a year ago. I then spent the next year slowly making dozens and dozens of these flowers. And they came out AMAZING – I used pages of a second hand copy of Harry Potter (because I’m a geek) but the one thing that EVERY, single person at the wedding mentioned was the flowers. I have had so many people ask me how I did them that I just keep sending them the link to this page. Honestly, they came out better than I could have expected and they looked incredible!

• Holly Scanlon says:

I am using this tutorial with comic books for my superhero themed wedding on Oct 23. Thank you so much for making an easy to follow tutorial!! I will try to figure out how to post pics of the bouquets once they are done!

• Jenn says:

Thank you so much! I found at least four different tutorials and tried two of them before I came across your site. The others were just too complicated and I was getting so frustrated. This was so simple and easy! I think I’ll actually have fun making them now!!