Wait, what is Juneteenth? In short, Juneteenth (June 19th) is a celebration of the end of slavery in the United States, though the history is more complicated than that. This short video helps to explain the history behind the day and why EVERYONE should celebrate it. The day has recently been gaining more and more recognition, with the Governor of Virginia proposing it to become a state holiday (which would make it only the second state to do so), and some companies starting to make it a corporate, paid holiday!
Here are some great resources to help everyone not only better understand what Juneteenth is, but how to continue to be a better ally to the Black community:
- An explainer of the origins of Juneteenth and how to celebrate it! – A video that explains the history of the holiday and how you can celebrate it today!
- A lens into the perspective of a Black employee – A great read putting you into the shoes of black employees across the country
- Professionalism as a Black American – A candid view into the professional world as a person of color
- How to talk to your kids about racism – A great resource for working parents, to help you teach your kids about racism and the importance of doing so
- The Black Female Battalion That Stood Up to a White Male Army – Know more about history, with the details of a unit of Black Women that ran the fastest mail service in the European Theater during WWII