So officially my 3-year blogaversary was on January 21st. For some reason I had always thought that I officially launched in February 2011, but the date stamp on my very first blog post tells me otherwise. I cannot believe it’s been 3 whole years since I started Capitol Romance. I don’t think I ever imagined it would last this long, or grow into what it has become. I can tell you though, it’s the people I have met since that very first post, that have made my journey worth it. Who knew that starting a blog, something so singular and sometimes siloed from personal interactions, could create such a plethora of connections. I’ve met SO MANY people through this thing – wedding vendors, small business owners, big business owners, DC Techies, artists, neighbors, creators, engaged couples, and more, all because I decided to start a blog. I’ve made friends, a few enemies, and met some truly amazing & inspiring couples. It’s slightly hard to even comprehend sometimes, but again, I am so very thankful for each and everyone one I’ve met. Even the crazies (yes, even them).
So for my 3-yeary blogaversary, in addition to reminding you & inviting you all (seriously ANY ONE!) to my meetup tonight (yes I know there’s a possibility of snow … but there’s also going to be wine … and cupcakes soo…..) I thought it might be fun to take a little jog down memory lane. Here we go:
- My first WordPress template was this ugly thing called Elegant Grunge. I was so punk rock back then. Also, it was free.
- My first logo was something I made myself. In Powerpoint. Using a free font & one of my wedding pictures.
- I had 2 comments on my first blog post. One was from my sister, and one was a trackback.
- I attended my first wedding show in April of 2011. It was called the Nonconforming Bridal Affair & one of the attendees told me “she read my blog” and I nearly died.
- I did my first styled shoot with Abby Grace Photography, based on our mutual love of Harry Potter & it was amazingly featured on Green Wedding Shoes – I STILL get hits from that post. Harry Potter lovers are everywhere.
- I could have never done ANY of this blog without my friend Steve, who I met my Sophomore year of college at Penn State. 3 years later, and he still answers all my IT help pleas, questions, and is somehow still my friend.
- Since starting the blog, I’ve had to learn how to form an LLC, register as a business in DC, and pay taxes (awesome!)
- I’ve learned how to use WordPress, Twitter, Google+, StatCounter, Google Analytics, Domain transfers, basic HTML & CSS, Blogstomp, and so many other IT applications.
- I’ve forced my husband to model in more than 1 photoshoot and been fortunate enough to have my picture taken by Gabe Aceves, Val & Sarah, Tim Riddick Photography, Live It Out Photography, Stephen Gosling Photography, & more.
- I’ve been asked to contribute to articles and was even interviewed/filmed for a project about DC relationships!
- I’ve emailed with tons of couples in the DC area about their weddings, challenges, thoughts, hopes, and feedback on this site.
- I’ve grown, but stayed true to my initial mission from 3 years ago: to create a resource for the Washington, DC area that focuses on alternative, creative, and nontraditional & budget-friendly weddings. To find REAL couples from all different backgrounds to show a true representation of the DC wedding scene.
I cannot thank all of you (my readers!) enough for being here with me. A blog could be a pretty lonely thing without readers, so for you, I am eternally grateful. Here’s to another 3 years? (eep! that thought is terrifying!)
[icon size=”small” image=”icon-heart”]
Happy anniversary!!! Honored to know you – congrats on all your success and here’s to many more Capitol Romance blogaversaries. Now, let’s eat cupcakes.
<3 thank you Katie. You're one of those amazing people I've been so thankful to have met through it! so THANK YOU. Bring on the cupcakes :)
Happy, Happy 3 Years Bree!
So thrilled for you and all that you have accomplished with Capitol Romance. You have not only turned your passions into a reality but have positively impacted so many in the process. Your commitment, creativity, and inclusiveness continue to be truly inspirational.
Here’s to many more years of real weddings, wedding music that doesn’t suck, let’s get personal, styled shoots, DIYs, meet-ups, service days, and celebrations!
xoxo thank you so so much :) this comment made my day!
You started a blog?
wouldn’t you like to know.
Looking at the pics through the years one thing remains: a big ol’ flower in your hair! Looove.
So proud of your very successful undertaking and continued success! Dad and I are thrilled for you! Save me a cupcake!! Please ?? Love you
thank you mom :) & your cupcake is on the counter!
Happy blogging anniversary!!!! :) So exciting!!!
thank you Nikki!!
happy three years, bree!! so happy to have found your blog! excited for what the future holds in store for you! =)
thank you Paulina!! So happy you found it too! Hopefully we can meet in real life some day!
Happy happy blogiversary to you! It’s been a crazy ride and I’m SO proud of how far you’ve come! You get the “raddest blogger” award. Love you, Bree!