Today kicks off another DIY wedding tutorial series from the ever-talented Ribbons & Bluebirds. This time around she’s sharing 3 alternative (and awesome) cake topper DIY tutorials! Jenn shares, “I have been waiting for these next several tutorials for a while – I’m so excited to share them with you! All of these toppers are perfect to personalize and make your own.”
Let’s do it.
DIY Wedding Tutorial: How to Make a Mini Bunting Cake Topper
This bunting banner is rustic and simple, and totally charming. It would be just as easy to space the flags and use your initials, or have it say “cheers”, or whatever you would like!
What you’ll need:
• Paper straws or equivalent – I prefer the straws over bbq skewers or similar because of the visual heft of the wider diameter for the posts
• Twine or ¼” wide ribbon for banner – mine is from Thatch & Thistle.
• Washi tape
• Linen ribbon/strips about 2” wide – I got mine from Paper Source.
• Hot glue gun
• Alphabet rubber stamps & ink
Step by Step Instructions:
1. The first thing to do is attach the washi-tape flags to the top of your banner poles – this helps you make sure you affix the ribbon for the banner at the same height down on each pole. To make a washi flag, tear off about 2” of tape and fold over the straw to tape to itself. Then, cut a little “v” notch on the ends. In the final design, you want the flag ends to aim out, away from the center.
2. Use your hot glue gun to attach the ribbon or twine to the straws. Start by placing a thin line of glue on the back, and affix the end of the ribbon. Then wrap your ribbon around to cover the cut end, and place a second small dot of hot glue as you wrap to keep the wrapped section from unwinding. Repeat for the other straw, leaving about 6” in the middle for your bunting.
3. Once my center ribbon is secure with hot glue, I like to tie separate little ribbon ends around the paper straws just under the washi flag – I think it makes it looks more festive to have the drape-y ends
Click inside for the rest of this adorable, and easy DIY Cake Topper tutorial!