What two things could make your wedding cake extra awesome? Why, mini dinosaurs and dapper top hats & veils OF COURSE. Continuing with our DIY Cake Topper series with Ribbons & Bluebirds (click if you missed the DIY mini bunting cake topper tutorial), today we have the most rad DIY wedding tutorial: Dapper Wedding Dinosaur Cake Toppers (with Top Hats & Veils). Check out the tutorial below!
DIY Tutorial: How to Make Mini Dinosaur Wedding Cake Toppers
^I MEAN COME ON!
You will need:
- black construction paper/cardstock
- scissors or x-acto
- manicure scissors ( for trimming the little curved bits)
- white glue
- floral tape
- large paper clips
- a light color pencil
- a dowel or something for curling the poster board
- black glitter
- black construction paper
- black (or coloured) glitter
- X-acto knife
- Floral stem centers
- Scrap paper in colour of your choice
- X-acto knife
- Scrap of tulle, about 2×3”
- Mini flowers, with no stems
- Figurines of your choice
- Hot glue gun
- Embroidery floss or twine
When I was wedding planning, one of the things I was excited to make was my cake topper to go along with the beautiful cake my roommate was going to make for the big day. I really didn’t want to use one of the weird plastic people designs, and since I was already arranging all my flowers myself I wanted to go in a different direction. And then I found this amazing tutorial, and all my problems were solved – I had 2 bluebirds in a nest looking all primped and polished with their tiny top hat and veil! Today I will show you how to style a different pair of figurines sure to delight your guests: meet Dapper Velociraptor and Elegant T-Rex.
For the top hat:
1. Visit Ann Wood’s amazing blog, and download the pattern to make the top hat: http://annwood.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/tophatpattern.pdf
2. Follow her instructions to make the top-hat, and cover in glitter. I’ll meet you back here when you have an awesome top-hat all finished
For the bowtie:
1. Cut out a bowtie shape from the construction paper with an x-acto knife.
2. Cover bowtie shape with glue, and sprinkle with glitter. Let dry.
Click inside for the rest of this step by step alternative cake topper tutorial!